stack and slash {times two}

I love stack and slash method for making improv looking quilts. In case you wonder what I'm talking about, you can see my tutorial for this method here. I love it because you can cut out and make 6 blocks at once and the whole quilt top comes together pretty quickly, too.

So, when I needed to make a boy quilt a few days ago I decided to go with this method.


I used my favorite "boy quilt colors" of white, gray, aqua, green, and khaki and my 12 blocks were stacked, slashed, and stitched in no time. I also added strips of extra fabric to all four sides - I love how this improv border brings some calm and order to this otherwise busy quilt top.


I used a wonderfully soft and cuddly twin sized gray sheet for the backing, straight line quilted it, and bound the whole quilt with washi fabric in coal. Finished size of this quilt is 54" x 64".

And, while I was in my stack and slash mood, I decided to finally finish this quilt top.


It was sitting, neatly folded, in my closet ever since I worked on the tutorial for this block in April. It definitely was my longest lasting wip and the fact that it was still not finished was bugging me to no end.


I used a pretty pink and white lattice fabric from my stash for the backing, did some simple straight line quilting, bound it using Kona Ash (my all time favorite Kona) and in no time this quilt was finished. Phew!!! It's been washed and dried, and is happily waiting to be donated to my local homeless shelter as part of 100 quilts for kids organized by Katie over at Swim, bike, quilt!

I must say, it felt great to get these two quilts finished and off my mental to do list.

Svetlana

 Fresh Poppy Design