Echino handbag

Happy Tuesday, everyone!

As promised, I'm back with much more details about my new Echino handbag.

I started this handbag off by using a pattern from the book Patchwork Style by Suzuko Koseki. This is what the bag in the book looks like.

You can hardly see the similarities, right? That happens to me a lot. I start with a pattern and somewhere along the way I stop following direction, or completely disregard them from the beginning (as was the case here), and end up with a completely different finished bag.

I made many changes and additions along the way. Here are just some:

First, I installed a zippered pocket along the whole back panel. I learned the hard way that unless I have a zippered pocket in my purse I do not use it very often.
 
I also put 4 fully lined and interfaced pockets inside the bag. You can tell I love pockets! I can fit my camera and phone in the ones that are padded using fusible fleece.

I used Panther Echino fabric by Etsuko Furuya for the exterior. I know, I already made one handbag using this fabric, just in a different color scheme, I just can't help it. There is something about this panther and big, bold, uneven dots that I can't resist. I used Cherry Fizz by Barbara Jones for the lining and pockets.

Not counting the fabric, my most favorite part of this bag is the handle. I think it just added the right amount of interest and contrast, otherwise the bag would have been kind of plain. I used black webbing (extremely easy to work with) and swivel latch hooks for the handle.

Finished size of this handbag is 12" x 8". Handle measures 25".

What about you? Have you made something pretty just for yourself recently?

I am linking this post to Fabric Tuesday over at Quiltstory. Stop by and see what others are up to.

Have a great day, Svetlana.